Friday, January 4, 2013

Favorite Blogger of the Month (January)

Dear Readers,

First, I'd like to wish you a very happy, successful new year ! ;)

My favorite bloggers of January - yes, they are two ladies this time! - are Amber and Amber, who created the indeed awesome and entertaining "AwesomeSauce Book Club". So if you like books, make sure to check out their site! (Click on the pic below)


Welcome, Amber and Amber! Tell us a little bit about yourself and your blog. Why did you start your own book review blog, and which genres do you feature?

Amber R: Amber I. started blogging before I did, so I'm going to let her take this question.

Amber I: I started blogging because I freaking loved books. I am obsessed with books and I had no one to talk to about all the books I read. I tried to get people I knew to read the books I read but they just were not keeping up. So somehow I stumbled across goodreads. Then when I was there I found out about blogging and decided to give it a try. I thought maybe if I had an outlet for my obsession it would be cool. I never ever thought it would be become what it has. Its just so crazy!

Our blog mainly features books in the Paranormal genre whether its just Paranormal Romance a YA Paranormal, Urban Fantasy or an Erotic Paranormal. Of coarse a few others sneak in there.

What genres do you read in private? What are your most favorite books of all time?

Amber R: I basically read urban fantasy, paranormal romance, that kind ofstuff. But I do read mysteries, contemporary, and sometimes historical romance but that's very rare.

Amber I: I am not ashamed of any books I read so there is really nothing I read in private. Maybe the newspaper. lol. And to pick a favorite book is like asking a mother to pick a favorite kid.  its just too hard.

With all those books being offered to you, you surely must be a bit picky about what you read. What intrigues you most in a story? Are you influenced by a good blurb or cover?

Amber R: You know I've never really paid too much attention to covers. But since Amber I. and our friend Autum are really into them, I have noticed myself paying more attention to them. I love a good blurb. A little mystery and some laughs will get me every time.

Amber I: Really I need both a good cover and a good blurb. It seems silly that a cover could make or break a book for me but it does. Covers to me are important. This is what visually catches a reader. If I am in a bookstore browsing would I go to a cover that looks amazing or one that is cheaply done and looks like crap? Obviously the good cover. A cover should really capture a reader. This is what they will first see and it needs to be good, if I see a bad cover before I know what the book is about I might skip it. But of coarse a blurb needs to be awesome too. You could have an amazing cover but the blurb sucks so I wouldn't read it.

How on earth do you find the time to manage such a busy blog besides your job and family life?

Amber R: Well, I think that there being two of us helps. We're reading double the books and setting up double the posts. Honestly if it wasn't for
Amber I: I'm certain I wouldn't be able to get this much done on my own. Plus, it's fun for me to do it so it's still a hobby rather than something I feel I HAVE to do.

Amber I: I notice the bigger the blog gets the harder it is. I want to be social and I think its important but sometimes its so hard. I try to keep up on my reading and my posts then also try to comment on other blogs and be active on twitter and facebook and all that stuff. But I also am working and have 3 kids. I am never totally put together. If I am ahead on reviews then I am behind on emails or something like that. Its never perfect but I love it!

Be honest: Is it easy or difficult to deal with us writers? I know that we can be an unorganized, sensitive lot sometimes. (You don't need to tell names …)

Amber R: Honestly, every author that I've personally dealt with so far has been pretty great. Amber might have some horror stories though. Haha

Amber I: I don't have really any horror stories. I have had some authors piss me off for whatever reasons but I told them about it and we ended up working it out. Of corse I have had last minute posts and all that and its annoying but I am usually understanding. But I let authors know that if you don't give me enough time then your post might not be posted or it will be late. I try to be honest with authors so we all know where we stand. I know authors are busy so usually no matter what I am understanding. I know I get behind on things and that I may get interview questions in late or something like that, I try not to but it happens so I completely get it when that happens with an author.  But I have seen so many author and bloggers fighting lately that I have created some new policy's on my blog to try and avoid any of that (ex. The No Douche Bag Clause).

You will be attending the first Indie Romance Convention next year! Please tell us what you've planned for the event.

Amber I: You know I am as excited to meet some of the bloggers as I am the writers. But I must say that I am going to be a total fan girl when I meet Eve Langlais!! She is my rock star!

Just for fun - some quickies:

Favorite movie:
Amber R:Hm. Ever After with Drew Barrymore or the newest Batman saga.
Amber I: The Wizard of Oz

Favorite TV series:
Amber R: Veronica Mars, I want to be a p.i. so bad because of this show.
Amber I: When I was little The Wonder Years then as a teenager Beverly Hills 90210 early Adult Friends older adult The Office and The Walking Dead.

Favorite singer/band:
Amber R: Sara Bareielles
Amber I: NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK! haha seriously they are awesome. But I guess you could mark me down as a 90s alternative fan. I am stuck in my decade of music.

Most beautiful male celebrity:
Amber R: Hmm. Jason Mamoa
Amber I: Oh gosh I don't know.. Lets think... James Franco keeps popping up in my head so I will say him. This is in no way a final answer.

Sexiest fictional hero ever:
Amber R: Dorian from the Dark Swan series by Richelle Mead, I'm in love.
Amber I: Oh this is so hard... I will go with Ian from The Night Huntress series ( I have even made people call me poppet because of him.) Or Dageus from Karen Marie Monings Highlander series (book 5) (which I took another nickname Amber-Lass) Again though this is too hard of a question as is in no way a final answer.

Best fictional villain ever:
Amber R: Voldemort for sure.
Amber I: I must agree that he who must not be named is an awesome one! I mean he made people fear him so much that they wouldn't even say his name! That is pretty bad ass.

Best fictional heroine ever:
Amber R:There are so many great ones. I love Charley from the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones.
Amber I: I agree Charley is an awesome one. Riley from Riley Jenson Series, Elena from The Otherworld series, Cat from Night Huntress, Mercy from Mercy Thompson. I know there are so many more but from where I am sitting and what I can see on my shelf I will stick with these ones. But I have more.

Your secret beauty tip:
Amber R: I'm a basic makeup lady but mascara is a go to.
Amber I: hahahahaha!! I have never ever been asked this once. Never! Oh man this is just funny. I am just not a girly girl. I don't even wear makeup. I say my secret tip is just not caring. lol

Your secret favorite cooking/baking recipe: 
Amber I: My husband's grandmother's homemade pasta and meatballs. I would share the recipe but they might kill me. Seriously we just got it a year ago. Its on a need to know basis. They are a big italian family and just trust me that its amazing. But I think she has purposely left off some info because it never tastes exactly the same as hers. We have been making it a lot trying to perfect it! It was like Christmas the day we got this recipe, I have been trying for years.